Saturday, December 18, 2010

004; shhh. it's a secret show

Yesterday, Alexisonfire had a secret show at Sonic Boom and I could not pass down an opportunity for an intimate show with these guys.

Sonic Boom: A mini-profile
  • Independent Record Store
  • 2 floors; Music on the main floor and even more music in the basement! The stage area is also in the  basement.
  • Great selection of music, current and old & new and used.
  • VINYLS, CDs, T-shirts, books, and some other fun stuff. 
  • Friendly staff (?) - The only actual staff encounter was asking for the ticket so it's not much to base it off of, but he seemed really nice nonetheless.
  • Scott Pilgrim was filmed here!

Performance:
They started off with songs from the new Dog's Blood EP and ended off with You Burn First and Control in a 30 minutes-ish set.  Control was definitely a bonus. After George announced the show was over, the audience wanted more - but really, who wouldn't want more - and someone wanted to hear Control. So the guys talked about it and we got what we wanted : ) 
The stage was really small so I couldn't see Dallas or Jordan really well but from what I could see with George, Chris, and Wade, it looked like they were having fun. Anyways, I loved the performance. It was so full of energy and George definitely has charisma!

Chemistry: 
This was the second time I've seen AOF perform. The first time was 3 years and 2 days ago and at that time I didn't notice any tension or whatever, just saw a bunch of talented dudes loving what they were doing.
When I saw them recently, I noticed something different with one member actually. When they first came on stage, the guys were getting geared up and they noticed that they were short a guitar pick. Dallas said he left/saw (can't remember exactly) the picks near the amp. From my perspective (I could be totally off), I thought he seemed a bit frustrated when he said that. As I mentioned before, control was not originally on the set list. When the band was talking it out, Dallas said  how playing one more song was like doing a concert. I couldn't help but feel that he didn't want to be there (again, I can totally be off) doing what he was loving.
I've come to an undecided conclusion that:
a) Dallas was having an off day
b) Dallas is normally like that
c) I'm over analyzing things

Lastly, I got to meet the band afterwards and I'm still pretty happy about that - got my CD and poster signed. I thanked AOF for doing the show individually and Chris, who is actually my personal favourite, was the one I talked with most. He said how the band liked doing shows at small venues like the one we were at. It's comforting to know that the band you love like doing what they're doing, kinda like their heart is where it should belong.

NOTE: I'm not hating on Dallas.



1 comment:

  1. Just read through the starting foundations of your blog. It's really great, I hope you get recognition. Love it :D!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog!
Your thoughts are very much appreciated =]