Thursday, March 10, 2011

Jan 20; Downtown Mumbai vs. Terrorist Hotspots

Day 15
I had the pleasure of spending my whole day downtown Mumbai.

I went to visit family I haven't seen in a really long time, which was super nice. At my aunt's and cousin's beauty salon, I was (once again) kind of forced to get a manicure/pedicure/get my hair done. The workers got me McDonald's for lunch and it was soo good. I hate American/Canadian McDonald's but India's was so good. I had something called the McAloo Tikka Burger. The burger portion was a masala flavoured potato filling with a breaded crust. (I miss it.)

Terrorist Hotspot# 1: Leopold Cafe
The terrorist attack back on the night of my birthday in 2008 forced the cafe to close for a while. When the cafe reopened, business continued to do well and the world-wide media attention actually helped promote this cafe, especially with foreigners. Never mind the food, but the bullet holes in the pillar are the main attraction in this continental cafe.  
Terrorist Hotspot # 2: Gateway of India
So it was nothing spectacular really. Just a really big gate with a lot of annoying photographers. Why would I pay for an overpriced photo when I have my own camera. But I was in the area so might as well visit

Terrorist Hotspot #3: The Taj Mahal Palace
Again, nothing too spectacular about it. It's just a normal fancy hotel. I went in and so saw overpriced food and fancy boutiques. Really nice amenities though. 

The architecture of the surrounding buildings in the area were very British-like. So pretty.

After all the sightseeing, I went jewellery hunting/postcard hunting on Colaba Causeway. Then went to Fashion Street which is pretty much a whole road full of accessories, clothes, shoes, and kids toys. The people were pushy, like usual. 

2 comments:

  1. What's overpriced food? Like overpriced even for here? Or just there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, overpriced even for here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog!
Your thoughts are very much appreciated =]