Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jan 14; Dirty Delhi no more

Day 9
Delhi was the cleanest city I visited during my stay in India. The country's capital went under considerable restructuring before the 2010 Commonwealth Games - before that it was a hot mess and it looked like many of the other Indian cities.

Place # 1: Humayun's Tomb
Apparently Obama came here and since then business has been booming.
side one (front)
side two (back)

Due to the time constrain, I was not able to go inside. Plus it was crazy packed! 

Place # 3 Qutab Minar
The detail on the various sculptures are so amazing/pretty/i'd hate to be the person to do that. 
the sun wasn't working with me.
People used to be able to go to the top, but due to the amount of  attempted and successful suicdes, it's been closed off to the public.
Iron Pillar

Place # 4: The Bazaar 
I FINALLY got to go to the bazaar. It's full of....stuff: questionable street food, purses, clothes, pillow cases, boots, knock off chucks, yes you name it. There's also some pretty annoying salesmen. They shove whatever they are selling which is usually place mats, face towels, debit card holders (debit cards are only starting to get big), and toys, in your face. So annoying. Also, it was sooo crowded.
knock off converse

 Place # 5: mall
Change in density, the mall was pretty empty. There were several floors - not enough room for horizontal development so up we go. There were mostly European and American stores like Puma, Lacoste, McDonalds, Baskin Robbins, United Colors of Benetton...

For dinner I ate at this place called the Kebab Grill (I have the menu, which I'll probably scan and upload later....). I had this amazing paneer tikka roll. It's paneer (which is cheese) and grilled veggies wrapped in roti. Out of all the delicious food I ate in India, this was by far my favourite. 

Paneer Tikka roll = 90 rupees = $2.10

3 comments:

  1. So street food is a no-no? : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol well, i'd advise you to stay away from it especially if there is water involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel, you're so lucky to see all this archaeological marvels! I wish I could have seen them myself, but I stayed in Delhi for a day and only got to see the bazaar. Overall, did you like this city because I found it a bit too pushy for my taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog!
Your thoughts are very much appreciated =]