Saturday, February 19, 2011

Jan 11; colony loving

 Day 6


Kushinagar: a mini profile (about the place I'm staying in)
  • Location: Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh
  • Food: I saw a lot of sugar cane trucks and a sugar factory
  • Things to do: tons of temples
  • Known for: Buddha had his last meal here.
There's nothing to do here - or so they keep telling me. For me, there's everything to see and experience. The simplistic lifestyle of the locals amazes me. I'm living with my cousins right now. They live in the most sought after "colony" (or community) in Pedrauna (which is a small town in Kushinagar). Most sought after? I got to thinking: my first night was rough - freezing cold, hot water is not available until you turn on the geyser to heat it and that takes about 15 - 20 minutes, slept on a bed without a mattress, dark washroom... Um, it's really different from my regular lifestyle. When I went to town yesterday, I realized what I had was a mansion. 
People lived in one room shacks, no washroom, no door. Now that's rough. To see people living this kind of life and still be able to smile and play is absolutely heart warming.

Update: cold, dark showers don't scare me anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog!
Your thoughts are very much appreciated =]